Origin Energy - Integrated Gas Category Management Case Study
Oil and Gas
Integrated Gas Category Management
Origin Energy required the services of a specialised procurement consulting firm to develop category management plans for their Integrated Gas Business Unit.
The objective of the engagement was to support the organisational change from a contract management approach to a category management approach. The category plans were required to outline the current and future strategic position of the organisation regarding each category.
The category management framework and deliverables were required to achieve:
- standardisation of approach;
- local and international market analysis and information for each category;
- procurement activity plan at a sub-category level;
- high quality deliverables for ongoing use; and
- knowledge transfer to client staff.
Procurement Co development a category management approach aligned with Origin’s key objectives. The category management approach included the following activities:
- spend and contract data analysis;
- strategic planning with executive team;
- consultation and coordination with procurement team and key business stakeholders;
- development of a category structure that was able to be applied across all assets and locations (including corporate services); and
- development of a suite of category management documents that was easily interpreted and implemented.
The Procurement Co team worked closely with the Origin Supply Chain team to ensure stakeholder buy-in and knowledge sharing was occurring throughout all phases of the project.
As a value adding initiative Procurement Co developed and delivered a category management governance document to provide an overview of the considerations and activities required for ongoing management of the categories.